Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Do you ever feel like you live in your car?

I sure do.  I have days when I travel between clients and appointments all day long.  I'm in and out of the car multiple times.  I never know just what I will need for a particular stop so I tend to stock common items just in case.  I have also never been much of a purse person, probably because I pack it too full to carry, so my car becomes a pocket book on wheels.  With all this stuff, it takes a bit of organization to keep it under control.

Create a portable office.  I know there are days when I will have spare time but I can't make it back to the office to work.  I still get plenty done with the portable office that I have created in a computer bag.  In the bag, I keep my laptop, which has files synced from the desktop computer, it power cords along with a cord to sync and power my phone.  I keep a limited supply of business cards, brochures and fliers for networking and travel versions of basic office supplies.  I go through my bag regularly to see if there are any items I can live without or that I haven't used in a long time.  I remove these to lighten the load.

Keep it in reach.  Driving distractions are deadly.  Do everything you can to keep your attention on the road.  Keep the things you may need while on the road in easy reach in an organizer on the passenger seat.  There are many styles and varieties to choose from.  I picked a scrap-booking tote with a ton of pockets.  I limit myself to the things that fit and review the contents regularly removing anything that I don't need.  I can quickly move the tote to the back seat or trunk when I have a passenger or I don't want to look at the items.

Put it in the trunk.  All the items that you need regularly but never need in reach can go in the trunk.  Think of the trunk as your portable supply closet for extra business cards, brochures, tools, change of clothes or gym clothes and anything else you may require.  Use a tub or bin to keep the items together for easy removal on the weekends when the trunk needs to be used for your personal life.


Kick it out.  The more time you spend in your car the more you will accumulate in it that does not belong.  Begin making a habit of collecting anything that does not belong in the car and putting it away.  The time you spend in the car will be more relaxed making you more efficient and a safer driver.  Keep a bag handy for trash and toss daily.  Look through your vehicle weekly, at least, for anything that does not belong.  You will be amazed at the items that collect in the car.

Not sure where to start, call me for a free consultation to see how I can help, 740-334-1928

No comments:

Post a Comment