Monday, May 9, 2011

Are you ready to go play?

If you are like me, you are probably keeping a close eye on the weather this time of year looking for opportunities to sneak outside for some much needed fresh air and sunshine.  My favorite activity for a nice afternoon is a ride on my bike, nothing makes me feel more like a kid.  I consider my garage the grown-up version of a toy box.  The toys are just bigger and a bit more expensive these days.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I hate wasting time looking for gear when I really want to be outside having fun.  In addition to keeping the garage uncluttered, you will be able to get to your favorite activities faster if all your gear is organized by activity.

Take a look at your space and determine a good location that is out of the way when you are not using your gear and easily accessible when you are heading out.  For my bike gear, this is two places, one that is right inside the garage door for my current bike, helmet and shoes and on the back wall for the rest of the bikes that I don't ride everyday.  I chose these areas because I want to be able to easily access my bike when my car is in the garage.  I usually ride from the house so this is important to me.  I can change clothes, walk out in to the garage grab my bike and gear and be on the road in a matter of minutes.  I have no excuses for not getting out and riding.  The other bikes are in the back since I rarely need them and they would be in the way up front.

Once you know where you gear is going to live, give each item its own space or hook.  Make it so easy to find things that you never have an excuse to not do your favorite activity.  You will also be more likely to put things away where they belong if there is a definite place for each item.  Don't make yourself have to decide what to do with something each time you are finished with it.  Decide once and forget about it.

Now get out there and go play!

No comments:

Post a Comment