Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A few of my favorite things...for cleaning.

I love the calm of a freshly cleaned space especially when it has been a while since the last cleaning.  My preference is to deep clean a room when I get the chance but I don't load up on cleaning products to get the job done.  I have found that a few simple but highly effective items will give you the best clean for even the toughest job.

Microfiber cloths are the best.  I used to be a fan of reusing old cotton towels and cloths to clean with but they just don't get the job done the way a microfiber one does.  The microfiber fabric helps do the cleaning and polishing in a way that cotton just can't.  For most surfaces and applications a wet cloth with your favorite cleaning solution  does the trick.  They are also highly economical and washable for reuse.

Lemon ammonia is my cleaning solution of choice for deep cleaning.  It is inexpensive, makes a ton of cleaning solution and leaves no dull residue.  Most surfaces can be cleaned safely with ammonia in water.  Windows especially are beautiful when washed with a microfiber cloth and hot ammonia water then polished with a dry microfiber cloth.  Even I am willing to clean windows without complaining now.  Be sure to test an area, if you are not sure if it can handle the ammonia.

There is no substitute for a good quality vacuum.  My personal favorite is the Kenmore Progressive 21514 canister from Sears.  This is a workhorse vacuum and the only one that you will need for years.  I got a new one for Christmas this past year only because I was going to be using the one I already had to prep houses for rental units.  I have had that vacuum for over 7 years and it is still going strong. The bags, filters and belts are a breeze to change.  The model shown also has all its attachments on board for easy use.  You can go from hard floors to carpet almost instantly and detach the floor head to vacuum baseboards without bending over to touch the release.

For tough dirt, I also like Scotch-Brite and Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.  The Scotch-Brite scours off the the toughest dirt along with hot ammonia water for a super clean.  A quick word of caution, scotch-brite works so well that it can strip wood work and paint so test a small patch first.  The Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are perfect for fine surface dirt that doesn't come off with just a cloth.  I use them on counter, appliances, sinks and porcelain.

Forget the mop and bucket!  A steam cleaner from Shark is an amazing piece of cleaning equipment.  I have a cannister version and a handheld that make quick work of floors, shower and just about everything else.  Fill it up with distilled water, you can use tap but the hard water wears out the machine faster, and mop.  Wash the microfiber head in the washing machine and you are ready for the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment